Skip to main content

December 18th -- Days of Self-Reflection

Photo by Louis from Pexels

Hello, 

7 days till Christmas folks! 

As my previous blogpost indicated, now that the holiday season is officially here, I see this as an opportunity to do some self-reflection. Below are topics that I wish to share with you -- my readers.

December 4th

What does the holiday season mean to me?

December 11th

What is the driving force in my writer's life?

December 18th

In what area/s do I need to improve self-discipline?

This year I have really struggled with writing. In fact, I found inventive ways to avoid writing altogether: my car's trunk is a mess, I seriously need to re-arrange it, and my bathroom, well I just got it remodeled, surely I need to find the most perfect bathroom accessories, and what about my dear friend in Colorado, for pete's sake, I haven't talked to her in over a month, must call her tonight. Argh..so many excuses!

So, in what area do I need to improve self-discipline? In the 'butt in chair' routine. The 'butt in chair' metaphor fits perfectly for writers, because that's all we need to do, just sit and write, period. So, my friends, in 2021, I need to ignore impulses to clean, wipe, mop, and reorganize, and just turn on my laptop and write.

On side note, I also plan to post my 2021 reading goals on Goodreads: 12 books in 2021.

December 25th

What do I wish for today?

 

Feel free to share your thoughts :)

Happy holidays!

Maria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading is FUNdamental!

As writers we hear this all the time, “If you want to be a better writer, you need to be a better reader.” And this is very true. But also true is that in reading we need to do so effectively. Yes, effectively. See, reading well can help make a huge difference in the quality of work you produce. Here are three tips to ensure you’re getting the most out of your reading experience, 1) Be sure to read books you enjoy. Unless you enjoy the classics (e.g. Austen, Dickens, Hemingway, etc.) reading mandatory novels some of which you may particularly enjoy might be counterintuitive. Reading should be a pleasure so read books that you like this way you’re sure to read more. 2) Read the type of material you aspire to produce. Find an author or two or three that you admire and read as much of their work as possible; devour their work actually.  3) Keep a good log of the books you’ve read. Voracious readers alike can tell you that they may not remember the books ...

Calgon...take me away!

Family/Friends, I understand now why some companies/celebreties hire people to tend to their Social Media networking, it is very time consuming, not to mention mentally exhausting. Point in case, just today I spent over an hour on Blogger and YouTube working out some kinks with my profile/settings. My head's spinning and I'm pooped. On the topic of Social Media, I'd like to take a moment to thank my daughter, Pamela for acting as a consultant on the topic. Pamela works in the field and has actually helped launch my first AdWords campaign. Although it is progressing slowly, I have seen an increase in site ( www.mywritingden.net ) traffic and Twitter - 10 new followers in a week. I've also been receiving sporadic emails from 'fans' telling me how much they enjoy my stories...so this keeps me going. Ohhh, and a VERY notable mention to Linus Ly who gave me the idea to use a 'new' slogan Erotica, She Wrote . Liked it so much I'm already using it. T...

T-Minus

Family/Friends, I'm six and a half days way from going into a NaNoWriMo 'leave of absence'. Yep, this means the Flash Fiction Friday section of my website will be on hold until 12/7.  Also, I don't expect to be online much (Twitter or Facebook), but will check email periodically. On a side note, I want to say thanks to those of you who have recently signed up to this blog, I appreciate you.  Oh, and thank you also to those folks who have visited this site from Russia,  Sweden, and Malaysia. I think that's pretty awe-SOME! Well, that's all for now. Until next time! Maria